Plan needed: Springborg

Mining and agriculture could happily co-exist in Queensland, State Member for Southern Downs Lawrence Springborg told the Southern Downs Protection Group meeting last week.
Although attending the meeting as an observer, Mr Springborg was invited by attendees to express his viewpoints on this contentious issue in the Southern Downs.
“There is 80 per cent of Queensland, which you could probably mine, but there’s 15 to 20 per cent of Queensland where it would have a profound impact,” he said.
Mr Springborg believed prime agricultural land should be protected.
“There should be a regional plan for the Darling Downs. We need a regional plan to say that we don’t believe an industry is appropriate in a particular area.”
The potential impact of mining on water was also a big issue, he said.
Communities are also feeling a number of negative social impacts as a result of this industry.
“I think it is impacting on valuations (reducing them). I have no doubt about that around here,” he said.
Mr Springborg also felt that landholders weren’t being appropriately compensated by mining companies accessing their land.
“I’ve been talking about these issues in Parliament and other areas for years,” he said.
Mr Springborg said it had only been the public pressure that had pushed the Queensland Government to start regulating the industry.

Story: Rebecca Brown