Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeCommunity4000 offences in new statewide traffic blitz

4000 offences in new statewide traffic blitz

More than 4000 traffic offences were detected in the first week of a statewide traffic operation targeting drivers ignoring ‘The Fatal Four’ ahead of the busy holiday period.
Operation Q-Blitz commenced across Queensland on November 1, aiming to reduce the number of traffic crashes on the State’s roads and send a strong message to drivers ahead of the Christmas period.
In the first week, a total of 3024 speeding offences, 88 drink driving offences, seven drug driving offences, 84 seatbelt offences and 75 heavy vehicle fatigue offences were detected.
A total of 147 drivers were issued with a fine for using their mobile phone while driving and 1019 other traffic infringement notices were issued across Queensland.
As part of the operation, more than 20,000 Random Breath Tests (RBTs) were conducted.
Police are urging drivers to consider ‘The Fatal Four’ contributing factors of road trauma (speeding, drink driving, not wearing a seatbelt and fatigue) before getting behind the wheel of their vehicle.
Deputy Commissioner Specialist Operations Ross Barnett said 241 lives had already been lost on Queensland roads this year, 21 more than the same time last year.
“Before we even start our Christmas road safety campaign, we want to send a strong message to drivers that we will be anywhere, anytime, targeting drivers ignoring our warnings in the lead-up to the holiday period,” Deputy Commissioner Barnett said.
“In the first week of Operation Q-Blitz, we have seen far too many drivers speeding and drink driving on our roads and we are urging drivers to consider the consequences of their actions.
“As we move into the busiest period of the year on our roads, officers will be doing everything they can to target drivers ignoring ‘The Fatal Four’.”
Deputy Commissioner Barnett said Operation Q-Blitz, which will run for the entire month, was part of the new Commissioner’s ongoing commitment to safer communities.
“This is the second in a series of statewide operations which will be rolled out as a coordinated approach, targeting issues affecting all regions,” Deputy Commissioner Barnett said.
Operation Q-Blitz, which was the first police operation named by social media followers, will continue across the State until November 30.

Previous article
Next article
Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Wet weather trims yardings but boosts prices

The showers that fell during the weekend and the opening days of the week had a twofold effect as they slowed numbers available for...

Gamble pays off

More News

Bleak outlook for economy if Iran conflict drags on

Lingering conflict in the Middle East could cause Australia's economy to contract and unemployment to spike to pre-pandemic levels, Treasury warns in the nation's...

Gamble pays off

Dealer: S Vul: E/W NORTH ♠ 5 ♥ 94 ♦ KJ1097432 ♣ 93 WEST EAST ♠ 10432 ♠ K986 ♥ Q8762 ♥ J103 ♦ 5 ♦ A6 ♣ J82 ♣ Q1065 SOUTH ♠ AQJ7 ♥ AK3 ♦ Q8 ♣...

Elderly woman dies 11 days after Glen Aplin fatal

A fatal crash south of Stanthorpe earlier this month has now claimed a second life after an 85-year-old Wallangarra woman succumbed to her injuries...

Turf club eyes big turnout for Warwick Picnic Races

The Warwick Automotive Group Picnic Races will return to Picklebet Allman Park Warwick on Saturday, 13 June 2026, bringing with it one of the...

Native vegetation struggling to survive on dry Granite Belt

Native vegetation and wildlife are coming under increasing pressure on the Granite Belt where dry conditions are killing even young trees and pushing rare...

Club championships to be decided

Brad Silver and Trish Fittock have put them in good positions in the Stanthorpe Club Championships with wins on day two of the action. A...

Morgan Park on world stage

From Morgan Park to the world, round four of the 2026 Penrite Australian Superbike Championships will be beamed from the Southern Downs into loungerooms...

Architectural honour for new $21m Warwick police station

Architects behind the $21 million redesign of the Warwick police station have earned formal praise from Australia's national architecture institute. Nearly a year after construction...

Battle of the Bands returns to kick off 49th Border District Eisteddfod

Battle of the Bands is back for 2026 to kick off the Border District Eisteddfod, giving local musicians, actors and dancers a platform to...

Stanthorpe nurse recognised for exceptional care at regional awards

Stanthorpe Hospital nurse Laura Brown has been awarded Darling Downs Health Graduate Nurse of the Year as part of International Nurses Day. Ms Brown...