Rhiannon’s riding high

RHIANNON Thomas, has topped off her interschool equestrian career on a high note during the recent Queensland Interschool State Championships.

The Championships, held in Maryborough over the term holidays, was a culmination of years of hard work and drive resulting in an overall third place in the medium dressage division.
Rhiannon has schooled her warmblood gelding, Jaybee Ali Baba, from grassroots level of preliminary through to the technically challenging level of medium and advanced dressage.
This year Rhiannon has combined her busy equestrian calendar with the role of the vice captain in her final year at SCOTS PGC College, as well as equestrian captain.
In 2012, Rhiannon was highly successful at the National Interschool Championships winning the Elementary Champion and Novice Reserve Champion and was honoured earlier this year to be a member of the 2012 Interschool Team of the Year.
“When I first came to the SCOTS PGC College in Year 6, I was new to Interschool and hadn’t done many competitions outside of pony club in the Darling Downs,” she said.
“When I started competing for SCOTS in these competitions, so many doors opened that gave me the confidence and the determination that I needed to strive with my riding.
“Without Interschool I wouldn’t ever have had the opportunity to ride at Melbourne for Nationals twice during my years at school and I would never be able to say that I won two national championships last year,” Rhiannon said.
“I owe my endless gratification to SCOTS PGC College, Interschool and my parents for giving me these opportunities.”
– Judy Haidley