Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeTop StoriesGordon Court Outcry

Gordon Court Outcry

With years of drainage problems, owners and residents of Gordon Court properties have had enough and have taken up their plight with the Queensland Ombudsman. as updates become available.

They have made numerous complaints to the Southern Downs Regional Council over a number of years and are still waiting for a solution.Gordon Court property owner Peter Lincoln and residents Scott Walker and Chris Barton met with the council’s director of engineering services Peter See onsite last week.
Mr Barton said that, with a torrential downpour, Gordon Court gets flooded.
The trio’s major concern was the safety of children in the area.
“Our main concern is it’s an open drain and it becomes a death trap for children,” he said.
Other concerns raised at the meeting were the obvious issue of access into their properties when it gets flooded and the potential for a decrease in their land values.
“There’s no doubt there are loads of water that come through. It is an issue we would like to solve,” Mr See said.

Despite some opposition to the idea at the meeting, Mr See said the best solution would be to build an underground drainage system.

“It’s been held up because of the floods and other issues. All I can do is to apologise,” he said.

“The council is trying to be as fair and reasonable as possible.

“Ultimately, we are all ratepayers and that’s why we have to look at the most cost effective option.”

This issue is expected to be discussed at the next council meeting on February 23.

Look out in the Southern Free Times

 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Weather system delivers patchy rain to Southern Downs

A band of wet weather has brought small and scattered falls of much needed rainfall to parts of the Southern Downs. While unlikely to cure...

Water Rats go down

More News

Licence suspended for speeding teen

A teenage driver is facing a lengthy spell without his licence after being caught allegedly travelling more than 47 kilometres over the speed limit...

Redbacks go down in arm-wrestle

The Criterion Hotel Warwick Redbacks fell short against the Toowoomba Tigers for the second time this season, going down by 21 points in round...

Water Rats go down

The Warwick Water Rats have suffered their first loss of the 2026 season, going down 33-17 to the Toowoomba Rangers at UniSQ in the...

Community matters more than ever

The main issues we are grappling with daily in Southern Inland Queensland are, on the face of it, very similar to issues agriculturalists face...

Numbers down for monthly three-bowl triples

Last Thursday the Warwick East Bowls Club held its monthly three-bowl triples. With a lot of people away at district sides events, our numbers were...

Locals come runners-up at Millmerran

A good day for Warwick East bowlers Julie Foster, Steve Tyter, Chris Stower and Wayne Foster on Saturday at the Millmerran Carnival, getting the...

Star Realty QLD celebrates three year milestone

This year marks an exciting milestone for Star Realty QLD as the locally owned business celebrates three years of helping property owners and tenants...

35th annual FB-EK Holden Nationals come to Stanthorpe

A blast from the motoring past is coming to Stanthorpe this June, with the 35th annual FB-EK Holden Nationals bringing almost 100 vintage 1960s...

Turkey Triples winners crowned

Helen Harm Real Estate sponsored the May Turkey Triples Competition at the Warwick Bowls Club, with the team taking overall first place, made up...

Windle stars despite movie move

Warwick Croquet club’s weekly golf play day was held a day early to make way for the club’s movie night on Thursday. While spirits...