Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeTop StoriesCouncil donates fees for raising homes on flood prone land

Council donates fees for raising homes on flood prone land

Southern Downs residents will now be able to apply for permission to raise their home on flood prone land and seek a refund of the application fee paid to Southern Downs Regional Council.
Councillors voted unanimously at the general meeting last week to donate up to $500 in application fees paid to the council for raising houses in a flood affected area.
Mayor Ron Bellingham said it just made common sense.
“We want to encourage flood proofing of homes that currently have a risk of flooding,” Cr Bellingham said.
“The council has made this decision to encourage home owners to raise their homes and to reduce some of the hardship resulting from the
recent floods.
“This initiative is just one more positive step that the council is introducing to help the community deal with the impacts of the floods,” the Mayor said.
The fee will be donated where the proposed raising leads to all habitable rooms as defined under the BCA being 30 centimetres above the one in 100 year flood level as determined by the director of engineering services,
Peter See.
The proposed finished height of the building must not result in the building having an extremely adverse effect on the amenity or likely amenity of the locality.
Applications will still be subject to any current planning legislation.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Weather system delivers patchy rain to Southern Downs

A band of wet weather has brought small and scattered falls of much needed rainfall to parts of the Southern Downs. While unlikely to cure...

Water Rats go down

More News

Licence suspended for speeding teen

A teenage driver is facing a lengthy spell without his licence after being caught allegedly travelling more than 47 kilometres over the speed limit...

Redbacks go down in arm-wrestle

The Criterion Hotel Warwick Redbacks fell short against the Toowoomba Tigers for the second time this season, going down by 21 points in round...

Water Rats go down

The Warwick Water Rats have suffered their first loss of the 2026 season, going down 33-17 to the Toowoomba Rangers at UniSQ in the...

Community matters more than ever

The main issues we are grappling with daily in Southern Inland Queensland are, on the face of it, very similar to issues agriculturalists face...

Numbers down for monthly three-bowl triples

Last Thursday the Warwick East Bowls Club held its monthly three-bowl triples. With a lot of people away at district sides events, our numbers were...

Locals come runners-up at Millmerran

A good day for Warwick East bowlers Julie Foster, Steve Tyter, Chris Stower and Wayne Foster on Saturday at the Millmerran Carnival, getting the...

Star Realty QLD celebrates three year milestone

This year marks an exciting milestone for Star Realty QLD as the locally owned business celebrates three years of helping property owners and tenants...

35th annual FB-EK Holden Nationals come to Stanthorpe

A blast from the motoring past is coming to Stanthorpe this June, with the 35th annual FB-EK Holden Nationals bringing almost 100 vintage 1960s...

Turkey Triples winners crowned

Helen Harm Real Estate sponsored the May Turkey Triples Competition at the Warwick Bowls Club, with the team taking overall first place, made up...

Windle stars despite movie move

Warwick Croquet club’s weekly golf play day was held a day early to make way for the club’s movie night on Thursday. While spirits...