Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeTop StoriesCouncillors in firing line over scare guns, hail cannons

Councillors in firing line over scare guns, hail cannons

Some councillors went straight into the firing line at last week’s meeting to defend the use of scare guns and hail cannons.
The Southern Downs Regional Council discussed at its general meeting a report on the rules in relation to the use of scare guns and hail cannons and how to deal with noise complaints.
This sparked a lengthy debate, with Cr Vic Pennisi particularly vocal.
“The accusation that they (farmers) run hail cannons all night is simply not true. They couldn’t afford to. Most switch it on when it’s most appropriate because of the running costs,” Cr Pennisi said.
He believed there was a lack of understanding of why farmers used hail cannons.
“They stop the hail from falling hard; the hail falls slow like snow. There’s less crop damage as a result of using the hail cannons,” Cr Pennisi said.
In relation to scare guns, which scare animals away from crops, he said it was ridiculous to have set timeframes for their use, as animals don’t clock off at a certain time.
“We don’t need the permit system. To me, the costs of running these things make them self-regulated.”
Cr Ross Bartley agreed, saying guidelines on the use of these objects would be better than a permit system.
“It’s just more red tape for our producers; they’ve got enough now,” Cr Bartley said.
“I won’t be supporting this; it’s an erosion of the right to farm,” he said.
However, Deputy Mayor Peter Blundell said between 5am and 9pm for the use of scare guns were reasonable hours that the community expected.
“To me, this is about giving some certainty to those people who use them. I would strongly suggest that we do implement these guidelines,” Cr Blundell said.
Cr Denise Ingram believed the council had to start somewhere.
Director of planning and environment Ken Harris said it was just another example of the State Government shifting its responsibility to Local Government.
“I find it frustrating that the State Government has left this in a mess for the council to sort it out,” Mr Harris said.
“I see that as an opportunity for us to get this right,” Cr Pennisi said.
Mayor Ron Bellingham said this was obviously a very complex issue.
“We have a legislative responsibility to give guidelines,” Cr Bellingham said.
“Frankly, we’ve got a responsibility to give producers and others some guidelines. There are people out there who will complain and we’ll just have to deal with those complaints,” he said.
The council resolved to approve the report and investigate guidelines for a permit system.
Cr Pennisi had the last word, saying, “It’s no different to fireworks and people accept them.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Weather system delivers patchy rain to Southern Downs

A band of wet weather has brought small and scattered falls of much needed rainfall to parts of the Southern Downs. While unlikely to cure...

Water Rats go down

More News

Licence suspended for speeding teen

A teenage driver is facing a lengthy spell without his licence after being caught allegedly travelling more than 47 kilometres over the speed limit...

Redbacks go down in arm-wrestle

The Criterion Hotel Warwick Redbacks fell short against the Toowoomba Tigers for the second time this season, going down by 21 points in round...

Water Rats go down

The Warwick Water Rats have suffered their first loss of the 2026 season, going down 33-17 to the Toowoomba Rangers at UniSQ in the...

Community matters more than ever

The main issues we are grappling with daily in Southern Inland Queensland are, on the face of it, very similar to issues agriculturalists face...

Numbers down for monthly three-bowl triples

Last Thursday the Warwick East Bowls Club held its monthly three-bowl triples. With a lot of people away at district sides events, our numbers were...

Locals come runners-up at Millmerran

A good day for Warwick East bowlers Julie Foster, Steve Tyter, Chris Stower and Wayne Foster on Saturday at the Millmerran Carnival, getting the...

Star Realty QLD celebrates three year milestone

This year marks an exciting milestone for Star Realty QLD as the locally owned business celebrates three years of helping property owners and tenants...

35th annual FB-EK Holden Nationals come to Stanthorpe

A blast from the motoring past is coming to Stanthorpe this June, with the 35th annual FB-EK Holden Nationals bringing almost 100 vintage 1960s...

Turkey Triples winners crowned

Helen Harm Real Estate sponsored the May Turkey Triples Competition at the Warwick Bowls Club, with the team taking overall first place, made up...

Windle stars despite movie move

Warwick Croquet club’s weekly golf play day was held a day early to make way for the club’s movie night on Thursday. While spirits...