Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeTop StoriesDeath trap? Eight Mile intersection causes a stir

Death trap? Eight Mile intersection causes a stir

The Eight Mile intersection is a ‘potential death trap’ according to Southern Downs Regional Mayor Ron Bellingham – and many local residents – yet because the Mayor didn’t sign a letter sent to Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Anthony Albanese, the issue isn’t that ‘significant’.
“The chief executive officer (Rod Ferguson) wrote to us but not the Mayor. If it was such a significant issue, why didn’t he (the Mayor) sign the letter,” a spokesperson for Minister Albanese said.
At last week’s general meeting, the council discussed their absolute disappointment in the reply they received to a letter sent to the Minister asking for a deputation on the Eight Mile intersection.
Instead of Minister Albanese replying, the letter was sent by Roland Pittar, general manager of North West Roads, Nation Building – Infrastructure Investment.
And instead of being addressed to Rod Ferguson, Mr Pittar had put Rob Ferguson.
“We just followed the protocol. If bureaucrats write to us, we get bureaucrats to respond back. If the elected officials write, the Minister normally writes back,” the spokesperson for Minister Albanese said.
Cr Bellingham found this rather strange considering the council directed the chief executive officer to write to the Minister.
“A decision from the council is the strongest indication of how we feel about it (Eight Mile intersection),” he said.
“We employ a CEO to respond to the council’s direction.
“I’m really concerned; the Eight Mile is a potential death trap.”
Cr Bellingham said he would now sign a letter addressed to the Minister this week in the hope that a deputation about this issue would be forthcoming from Minister Albanese.
The Minister’s spokesperson also went on to say: “For 12 years, you had a local member in government. Why did Bruce Scott fail to secure any funding that the community obviously wanted?”
Federal Member for Maranoa Bruce Scott said he did secure $5 million for the Eight Mile but was disappointed with how the funds were spent.
Mr Scott believed an overpass was the only solution at this ‘dangerous’ intersection.
One life has already been lost this year at the Eight Mile.

Story: Rebecca Brown

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Weather system delivers patchy rain to Southern Downs

A band of wet weather has brought small and scattered falls of much needed rainfall to parts of the Southern Downs. While unlikely to cure...

Water Rats go down

More News

Licence suspended for speeding teen

A teenage driver is facing a lengthy spell without his licence after being caught allegedly travelling more than 47 kilometres over the speed limit...

Redbacks go down in arm-wrestle

The Criterion Hotel Warwick Redbacks fell short against the Toowoomba Tigers for the second time this season, going down by 21 points in round...

Water Rats go down

The Warwick Water Rats have suffered their first loss of the 2026 season, going down 33-17 to the Toowoomba Rangers at UniSQ in the...

Community matters more than ever

The main issues we are grappling with daily in Southern Inland Queensland are, on the face of it, very similar to issues agriculturalists face...

Numbers down for monthly three-bowl triples

Last Thursday the Warwick East Bowls Club held its monthly three-bowl triples. With a lot of people away at district sides events, our numbers were...

Locals come runners-up at Millmerran

A good day for Warwick East bowlers Julie Foster, Steve Tyter, Chris Stower and Wayne Foster on Saturday at the Millmerran Carnival, getting the...

Star Realty QLD celebrates three year milestone

This year marks an exciting milestone for Star Realty QLD as the locally owned business celebrates three years of helping property owners and tenants...

35th annual FB-EK Holden Nationals come to Stanthorpe

A blast from the motoring past is coming to Stanthorpe this June, with the 35th annual FB-EK Holden Nationals bringing almost 100 vintage 1960s...

Turkey Triples winners crowned

Helen Harm Real Estate sponsored the May Turkey Triples Competition at the Warwick Bowls Club, with the team taking overall first place, made up...

Windle stars despite movie move

Warwick Croquet club’s weekly golf play day was held a day early to make way for the club’s movie night on Thursday. While spirits...