Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeTop StoriesResident ignored

Resident ignored

Tenterfield’s Violet Baker just wants to be able to restart her recycling operation – a facility that is supported by the vast majority of local residents – yet she has been stonewalled by the Tenterfield Shire Council.

The council closed down the facility located at the Tenterfield Waste Transfer Station without any notice, citing occupational health and safety reasons, as reported in the Southern Free Times in December.
Since this time, Mrs Baker has tried to get answers from the council on a number of occasions, yet she claims she has been ignored.
Only living off Centrelink payments, Mrs Baker is struggling to pay her bills as a result of the loss of income from her recycling business, and on top of this she is trying to cope with the death of her husband Warren last year. The lack of answers from the council is adding to her emotional burden.
Even before the facility had been closed down, she had written a letter to the council’s general manager Jim Gossage on August 18, citing her concerns with workplace conditions at the council-operated Tenterfield Waste Transfer Station.
“I wish to bring to your attention that Warren had asked for some protection from the weather at the cardboard press particularly from the westerly winds. Working conditions were made more difficult with the removal of the 20-foot container recently. As the council is supplying these facilities as part of our agreement I would ask for your urgent attention to this matter to bring the premises in line with normal working practice,” Mrs Baker wrote.
Months after sending this letter, she is still waiting for a reply from the council.
Mrs Baker’s letters to Mr Gossage on December 15, 2011 and January 4, 2012, have also gone unanswered at the time of print.
She cited her difficulties in obtaining public liability insurance, one of the conditions imposed by the council in order to restart her recycling operation, when the council had put a work safe stop notice on her business.
Mrs Baker also queried what assistance the council was going to offer her for the insurance of council equipment on council land.
“I’m hoping it (the recycling facility) will be running within the next couple of weeks but I don’t think so,” she said.
Mrs Baker is considering doing a petition after a number of local businesspeople asked her to do so.
Mr Gossage said the reopening of the recycling facility depended on Mrs Baker addressing the council’s concerns in relation to the business.
“We’re waiting for the person (Mrs Baker) to comply with the occupational health and safety issues we have,” he said.
Mr Gossage would not elaborate any further on this issue.
Keep an eye out in the Southern Free Times for updates to this story.
Story: Rebecca Brown
Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Million-dollar feral pig plan opens for feedback

The Queensland Government’s $1 million feral pig management action plan draft is now open for public consultation. Aligning with the national action plan, the...
More News

Foxbar Falls hosts Orienteers

The Foxbar Falls campground at Amiens will be the venue for the second Bullencourt Boulder Bounders orienteering event of the year on Sunday 8...

Barman steps in for win

What a great day the inaugural monthly Two Four Two’s Day competition was on Tuesday, 10 February with barman Denis Stirling teaming with Clark...

Anzac legacy the focus for new sub-branch president

Navy veteran Steve Kelly is hoping to keep the Anzac legacy alive for younger generations after stepping into the role of president of Warwick...

Ute muster revving up

The Ute Muster is a fun and lively part of the Killarney Show, giving ute enthusiasts and families a chance to see a huge...

Gassers another attraction at Nitro on the Downs

When people think of nitro racing, they think of flames, noise, and raw power; Nitro on the Downs at Warwick Dragway 20-21 February, Funnycars...

ARK’s pet of the week

LISA arrived to Ark and met the quiet boy, ARCHIE. Lisa being an extrovert helped Archie come out of his shell. They adore being...

Bennett returns for club opening

NRL coach and local product Wayne Bennett will be amongst the dignitaries coming for the opening of the Warwick Cowboys Club House and launch...

Funny cars on the strip

The Funny Cars are coming to light up the night sky at Warwick for the annual Nitro on the Downs event at the Warwick...

Woodchop warriors to take centre stage

The unmistakable sound of axes striking timber will once again ring out at the Killarney Show when the woodchop competition gets underway from 9am...

Tight supply pushes prices up

The rain did bring some joy and help to the producers and the farms in most districts over the past week. Whilst there were...