Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeTop StoriesBowel cancer screening program in the Budget

Bowel cancer screening program in the Budget

Tuesday’s Federal Budget delivered much-needed funds to extend the bowel cancer screening program, which was warmly welcomed by the Independent Member for New England, Tony Windsor.
In March, Mr Windsor joined Cancer Council CEO, Professor Ian Olver, and fellow Independent MPs Rob Oakeshott and Andrew Wilkie, at Parliament House in Canberra to further campaign for the 2012 Federal Budget to include funding to extend the bowel cancer screening program.
Mr Windsor is delighted the Federal Government has responded favourably to the campaign.
“Ian Olver, Paul Grogan and the Cancer Council team have worked very hard over a number of years to bring about this result.
“I congratulate them on their now successful campaign and thank them for their untiring efforts.
“I also recognise and congratulate the National Bowel Cancer Coalition for their campaigns and Tamworth retired doctor Les Rae, a former board member of NBCC, who first drew the dire need for expanding the screening to my attention and encouraged me to pursue wherever I could the extension of the scheme.
“Les, the National Bowel Cancer Coalition and the Cancer Council pointed out that bowel cancer kills around 4000 Australians a year – more people than any other cancer except lung cancer.
“They showed me that up to a third of these deaths could be prevented by extending the bowel cancer screening program.
“So I’m delighted the Federal Government is acting to save lives, despite the pressure to deliver a Budget surplus,” Mr Windsor said.
Bowel cancer screening is provided free to people aged 50, 55 and 65.
This year’s Federal Budget delivered an extra $49.7 million to extend bowel cancer screening to Australians turning 60 from next year, and 70 from 2015.
The program will then be progressively extended from 2017-18 to deliver free biennial screening.
Mr Windsor says the extra funding is great value for money.
“Every year, Australia spends around $1 billion treating bowel cancer.
“While you can’t put a dollar value on saving lives, identifying bowel cancer early will also save on treatment costs.
“I’d like to congratulate the Federal Government for making the bowel cancer screening program a priority in this year’s Budget,” he said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

YOUR SAY: Letters to the editor

One last goodbye: Mervyn Ian Caton said his last goodbye on Tuesday 12 May. He was rushed to hospital on Saturday morning with a stroke. He...
More News

Country clothing retailer bows out of Warwick main street

Popular Warwick clothing retailer Crossdraw Country Co will move operations solely online after choosing not to renew a lease on its Palmerin Street shopfront. The...

Big turn out for Pony Club events

Stanthorpe Pony Club held its Formal Zone 21 gymkhana and annual Stanthorpe Pony Club sporting gymkhana at the start of May. The events attracted competitors...

Wet weather trims yardings but boosts prices

The showers that fell during the weekend and the opening days of the week had a twofold effect as they slowed numbers available for...

Strong bidding lifts lamb prices

The rain was both a blessing and a frustrating event this week in the Southern Downs as we got some moisture (not really enough!)...

Bleak outlook for economy if Iran conflict drags on

Lingering conflict in the Middle East could cause Australia's economy to contract and unemployment to spike to pre-pandemic levels, Treasury warns in the nation's...

Gamble pays off

Dealer: S Vul: E/W NORTH ♠ 5 ♥ 94 ♦ KJ1097432 ♣ 93 WEST EAST ♠ 10432 ♠ K986 ♥ Q8762 ♥ J103 ♦ 5 ♦ A6 ♣ J82 ♣ Q1065 SOUTH ♠ AQJ7 ♥ AK3 ♦ Q8 ♣...

Elderly woman dies 11 days after Glen Aplin fatal

A fatal crash south of Stanthorpe earlier this month has now claimed a second life after an 85-year-old Wallangarra woman succumbed to her injuries...

Turf club eyes big turnout for Warwick Picnic Races

The Warwick Automotive Group Picnic Races will return to Picklebet Allman Park Warwick on Saturday, 13 June 2026, bringing with it one of the...

Native vegetation struggling to survive on dry Granite Belt

Native vegetation and wildlife are coming under increasing pressure on the Granite Belt where dry conditions are killing even young trees and pushing rare...

Club championships to be decided

Brad Silver and Trish Fittock have put them in good positions in the Stanthorpe Club Championships with wins on day two of the action. A...