Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeTop StoriesNo to violence

No to violence

Warwick residents stood up against domestic and family violence last week by attending a Candlelight Vigil to mark the start of a month-long campaign to fight against this abuse happening in our community.
Between January and March this year, 10,400 new clients had sought assistance for domestic and family violence in Queensland alone.
Of these, 76.9 per cent were female and the vast majority of incidents were spousal related.
Chair of the Warwick Strategy Group for Domestic & Family Violence Prevention Bette Bonney said during this period, there were 9244 reports of children being in the household at the time of the violence.
“That’s 9244 households; we don’t know how many children that includes,” Mrs Bonney said.
She said these cases referred to new incidents only.
“This is only the tip of the iceberg for a number of reasons. They do not take into account the many recurring incidents also being reported; and, due to the relationship/family dynamics of DV (Domestic Violence), many DV incidents are never reported.”
The local strategy group hosted the powerful Candlelight Vigil on Wednesday, May 2, as part of a statewide campaign during Domestic and Family Violence Prevention Month.
More than 60 people showed their support against domestic violence at the Warwick event, despite the wet weather.
Mrs Bonney said more people were turning up to these vigils as the awareness increased. It was about the fifth time Warwick hosted the event.
“There was more of an energy to it this year. Everyone found it very powerful when they lit the candle. It’s great to have that strength of support,” she said.
Unfortunately, the day saw the seventh death in Queensland this year as a result of domestic violence.

Story: Rebecca Brown

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Million-dollar feral pig plan opens for feedback

The Queensland Government’s $1 million feral pig management action plan draft is now open for public consultation. Aligning with the national action plan, the...
More News

Foxbar Falls hosts Orienteers

The Foxbar Falls campground at Amiens will be the venue for the second Bullencourt Boulder Bounders orienteering event of the year on Sunday 8...

Barman steps in for win

What a great day the inaugural monthly Two Four Two’s Day competition was on Tuesday, 10 February with barman Denis Stirling teaming with Clark...

Anzac legacy the focus for new sub-branch president

Navy veteran Steve Kelly is hoping to keep the Anzac legacy alive for younger generations after stepping into the role of president of Warwick...

Ute muster revving up

The Ute Muster is a fun and lively part of the Killarney Show, giving ute enthusiasts and families a chance to see a huge...

Gassers another attraction at Nitro on the Downs

When people think of nitro racing, they think of flames, noise, and raw power; Nitro on the Downs at Warwick Dragway 20-21 February, Funnycars...

ARK’s pet of the week

LISA arrived to Ark and met the quiet boy, ARCHIE. Lisa being an extrovert helped Archie come out of his shell. They adore being...

Bennett returns for club opening

NRL coach and local product Wayne Bennett will be amongst the dignitaries coming for the opening of the Warwick Cowboys Club House and launch...

Funny cars on the strip

The Funny Cars are coming to light up the night sky at Warwick for the annual Nitro on the Downs event at the Warwick...

Woodchop warriors to take centre stage

The unmistakable sound of axes striking timber will once again ring out at the Killarney Show when the woodchop competition gets underway from 9am...

Tight supply pushes prices up

The rain did bring some joy and help to the producers and the farms in most districts over the past week. Whilst there were...