Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeTop StoriesLucky escape Push for baiting program after fox attacks three-year-old boy

Lucky escape Push for baiting program after fox attacks three-year-old boy

Sunnyside parents David and Jane Harvey are now pushing for a coordinated baiting program after their three-year-old son was attacked by a fox on their property last week.
Mrs Harvey said her son Tom was lucky to escape with only stitches.
“In another 30 seconds or a minute, it could have killed him,” she said.
“It was absolute horror. This is the worst thing I’ve seen in my life and I’ve seen some bad things, but when you see this to your own child, I just don’t think it can get any worse.”
Mrs Harvey said her husband David was eventually able to scare the fox away before it caused any more damage.
“Normally foxes don’t touch people,” she said.
As such, the Harveys are pushing for a coordinated fox baiting program and hoped nearby landholders would become actively involved.
“The government doesn’t put money towards controlling foxes. We’re hoping to use what’s happened here to do something about that,” Mrs Harvey said.
New England Livestock Health and Pest Authority’s Tenterfield ranger, Andrew Davidson, said foxes were not a declared pest and this would contribute to the lack of government funding.
“April is the time that we encourage landholders to bait for foxes because that is the mating season for foxes,” Mr Davidson said.
“We are very interested in contacting landholders to do a coordinated control program,” he said.
The pest authority was hoping to establish a fox control group in the Sunnyside area.
Mr Davidson said they had issued 1080 poison to the Harveys as well as placed a cage on their property in an attempt to catch the fox that attacked their son.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Weather system delivers patchy rain to Southern Downs

A band of wet weather has brought small and scattered falls of much needed rainfall to parts of the Southern Downs. While unlikely to cure...

Water Rats go down

More News

Licence suspended for speeding teen

A teenage driver is facing a lengthy spell without his licence after being caught allegedly travelling more than 47 kilometres over the speed limit...

Redbacks go down in arm-wrestle

The Criterion Hotel Warwick Redbacks fell short against the Toowoomba Tigers for the second time this season, going down by 21 points in round...

Water Rats go down

The Warwick Water Rats have suffered their first loss of the 2026 season, going down 33-17 to the Toowoomba Rangers at UniSQ in the...

Community matters more than ever

The main issues we are grappling with daily in Southern Inland Queensland are, on the face of it, very similar to issues agriculturalists face...

Numbers down for monthly three-bowl triples

Last Thursday the Warwick East Bowls Club held its monthly three-bowl triples. With a lot of people away at district sides events, our numbers were...

Locals come runners-up at Millmerran

A good day for Warwick East bowlers Julie Foster, Steve Tyter, Chris Stower and Wayne Foster on Saturday at the Millmerran Carnival, getting the...

Star Realty QLD celebrates three year milestone

This year marks an exciting milestone for Star Realty QLD as the locally owned business celebrates three years of helping property owners and tenants...

35th annual FB-EK Holden Nationals come to Stanthorpe

A blast from the motoring past is coming to Stanthorpe this June, with the 35th annual FB-EK Holden Nationals bringing almost 100 vintage 1960s...

Turkey Triples winners crowned

Helen Harm Real Estate sponsored the May Turkey Triples Competition at the Warwick Bowls Club, with the team taking overall first place, made up...

Windle stars despite movie move

Warwick Croquet club’s weekly golf play day was held a day early to make way for the club’s movie night on Thursday. While spirits...